Friday 7 February 2014

Party Cake

As it is the shop’s birthday tomorrow I thought I would do some baking today. I have been making this recipe for Click & Clack since I opened the shop and it always goes down well.


It is just a variation on the way my Mum taught me to make cakes - 1 egg to every 2oz of everything else - butter, caster sugar and self raising flour and a bit of milk if the mix ended up not gloopy enough. I always stick to this and flavour it different ways. I have taught my girls the recipe and now the two older ones (13 and 10) are confident bakers and much better at it than me!

I usually make Lemon Drizzle cake in a loaf tin using 3 eggs and it is a good one to bung in the oven after I have finished cooking the childrens' tea. By the time I am cutting it at Click & Clack it's usually still warm.


Today I have used 7 eggs (14oz of everything else) and got four dozen cupcakes out of that mix. I added the juice and zest of a lemon to the mix and of course, I had to check that it was lemony enough - yum yum!


The best bit is the 'drizzle'. I emptied the rest of the bag of sugar into the juicer with the juice of two lemons and then while the cakes were still hot I drizzled about a teaspoon of the mix over the top of each one. I also grated the zest of the lemon before juicing them and before drizzling I sprinkled each cake with the zest.


All done and cooling in less than an hour - that's my kind of baking! If you are coming along to The Knitting Hut Party tomorrow, try one and let me know what you think.

Did I say four dozen . . . ? Maybe a few less now!

No comments:

Post a Comment